Friday, February 25, 2011

Hurricane Baby Frank

It all started with my nephew, Franklin's double cowlick. My parents and grandma fawned over it. I'm not sure if this is the case with all Koreans, but in my family a double cowlick is a sign of stubbornness (or persistence depending on how you see things).  

To me, it looked like a hurricane. Naturally.  Because in addition to babies, weather is one of my favorite things. I have much respect for weather and energy after revisiting the content as a teacher. If you think about it from a conceptual standpoint, you can't help but be awed at how infinitely interconnected everything in the natural world is...  

Here is an excerpt from the Tropical Cyclone Report for Hurricane Frank (source: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pdf/TCR-EP092010_Frank.pdf): 

The tropical wave that eventually became Frank was difficult to trace from the west coast of Africa. It was first identified on 15 August when a large area of showers, accompanied by a low-level cyclonic wind shift, was noted near the southern Windward Islands. 

Hurricane Frank ended up off the southwestern coast of Mexico, as a category 1 hurricane. Yet, it started off: 1) halfway around the Earth! 2) as a wave!! It's mind boggling! 

I could go on, but I won't.  Without further ado, here's what I came up with this week.

Any old hurricane in Los Angeles would be freakish and miserable. Hurricane Baby Frank however, would be the cutest hurricane you've ever experienced. Lemon cupcakes and baby bunnies would float down from cowlick clouds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment